Wednesday, November 21, 2012

5 Days Post Surgery

     Over the past two days, the pain in my knee has significantly lessened.  So much so, I've been able to pretty much phase out my pain killers, taking one last pill tonight (I have high hopes of drinking some beer at Thanksgiving Dinner tomorrow).  However, I'm beginning to miss the drowsiness caused by the pain killers...since I spend all day laying around, I am not tired at the end of the night, and lye awake, staring at the ceiling, until past 2am.  
     I have continued to keep my leg slightly elevated and ice my knee (1/2 hour on, 1/2 hour off); but, for the most part, I am not babying my leg as much as I did last time.  If find myself pointing and flexing my toes (which activates my calf muscle) and tightening my thigh muscles often.  Luckily, I think that my muscles have not atrophied as much as last time; I feel like I do have some control over my leg (a week after my last surgery, I could not lift my leg on my own).  I even ventured out of the house for a little bit today (which left my completely exhausted when I got home).  
     Despite all my progress, my leg does still seem extremely swollen, particularly around my ankle.  Unfortunately, after voicing this concern out loud, my mother decided to attempt to shove my shoe onto my foot, to check if the swelling had gone down; the pain of her twisting my leg was excruciating.  
     Next Tuesday cannot come fast enough; I really cannot wait to get my bandage off and see what lies underneath.  The wrappings are starting to get really hard and my skin is getting very itchy...not to mention my fear of infection in the incision.  I'm getting really tired of lying around and cannot wait to start therapy and get my leg back.  

No comments:

Post a Comment